Mini Pineapple Upside Down Cakes
We had leftover pineapple from making Pepperoni Pineapple Garlic Bread Pizzas so i wanted to make some upside-down pineapple cakes. To make them, i used a combo of a recipe for cute mini cakes and the “homemade cake mix” recipe – both from All Recipes.
Pineapple Upside-down Mini Cakes
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 (20 ounce) cans sliced pineapple
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 12 maraschino cherries, halved
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar and butter; mix well. Spoon into 24 greased muffin cups. Drain pineapple, reserving the juice. Trim pineapple to fit the muffin cups; place one ring in each cup.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, oils and 1-1/4 cups of the reserved pineapple juice; mix well. Spoon over pineapple, filling each cup two-thirds full. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Immediately invert onto wire racks to cool. Place a cherry in the center of each pineapple ring.
Cake Mixes from Scratch
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For a Yellow Cake: Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Cut in shortening until fine crumbs are formed. Add eggs, milk, and vanilla. Beat at low speed for 1 minute, then high for 2 minutes, scraping the bowl frequently.
- Pour batter into greased and floured 9×13 inch pan. Bake in preheated 350 degree F oven (175 degrees C) for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Variation for a White Cake: Prepare as for the basic cake except use 3 egg whites for the 2 whole eggs. Whites may be beaten separately and added for a lighter cake.
- Variation for a Chocolate Cake: Add 1/4 cup cocoa powder to the basic cake mix prior to adding the milk.
- Variation for a Spice Cake: Add 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves, and 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice to the basic cake mix.
- Variation for a Pineapple Upside Down Cake: Melt 1/2 cup butter in the bottom of a 9×13 pan. Add 2/3 cup brown sugar, stirring into the butter. Arrange pineapple slices in the pan. Top with the basic (yellow cake) mix recipe. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, cool 5 minutes, and invert to serve.
On this day..
- Happy Easter 2016 - 2016
- Marina Easter Egg Hunt 2016 - 2016
- California Mania 2011 - 2011
- I <3 Spinach - 2009